Monday, May 02, 2011

Yakutat Story

Apparently, since I didn't buy my ticket to get on the plane, I didn't get the job. They hired me on the 11th telling me the day, the time and the flight number to Yakutat. April 26th, Flight 66 leaving Anchorage at 3:30pm. Every other lodge that I've worked at, that I couldn't drive to, always bought the ticket to and from. So I figured this was no exception. Not the case. I arrived at the airport packed to go for 5 months. I was only 5lbs over which was my blanket that I took out. Called my friend who had dropped me off to come back and get the blanket. My name wasn't on the manifest but was checking in anyway thinking there was a mix-up and it would be resolved soon. My friend shows up back to the airport in my van. (I was going to park it at their place for the season). I'd called and texted the lodge again and went out to my van to ask my friend to hang until I heard back from the lodge or took the flight. I was packed and ready to go to work. Excited about seeing a new place in Alaska and making some money. Posted about going on my blog and Facebook. When my phone rang. "You were supposed to buy your own ticket to Yakutat" said the voice. That was it. I hauled my bags out of the airport and headed back to Palmer. The more I thought about it the more I thought it best that I didn't go to work for a lodge that was too cheap to buy my ticket. (When I checked on the flight April 11th it would have been $228 RT.) Lodges are glorified slave camps and be very careful when going to work for them. I'm a seasoned worker and this one caught me by surprise.

All is okay though. I'll find a job soon and will have one of the best summers of my life. Stay tuned!



2 comments:

kkryno said...

Everything happens for a reason. There's somoething much better just waiting for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree with kkryno on that philosophy. Glad you aren't taking this personally, as I bet the lodge used to pay airfare, they are probably sucking wind this year.

You are one of the most resilient people I know, so you will be fine. Hang in there!

Patti from down in the lower 48...