Saturday, June 30, 2007

Marylin's Fireweed Jelly

I'm going to give this a try this year. Fireweed even grows out of the cracks around here.




Marylin's Fireweed Jelly Recipe


When the fireweed is in full bloom its time to begin the process of putting away all the jams, jellies, and preserves for the long winter ahead. This jelly recipe imparts a nice distinctive flavor for those peanut butter sandwiches or steaming stack of hot cakes.


Pick,wash, and measure 8 cups of fireweed blossoms (flower part only!!)


Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4-1/2 cups water.


Boil 10 minutes and strain.


Take the strained juice and heat to lukewarm. Add 2 pkgs Sure Jell (or other powdered pectin) and bring to boil.


Add 5 cups sugar and bring to full boil.


Boil hard for 1 minute. Pour into hot clean jars and seal.


Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.


Good Cookin',

Marylin
Lots of interesting recipes at the Alaska Outdoor Journal site above.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I want to try that. Thanks for the recipe.

FishTaxi said...

Your welcome Heidi. A friend in Moose Pass sent me some one year that she made and she called it "Fireweed Honey". It has a consistency more of honey than jelly.

I'm going to make that halibut dip for the 4th of July picnic.

Barb said...

I keep trying.

Anonymous said...

Fireweed is in full bloom here in Finland, too. It just cries out to be turned into jelly and Marylin's honey, too :D Have you made her honey yet?

-enk

FishTaxi said...

Hi enk- no, not yet. Its not quite in full bloom here yet. soon!

Anonymous said...

Just found your site while searching for the recipe. I did try this recipe and did a few things different. I was not picky on removing all but the blossoms so I added a little extra of the fire weed. I also added some red hots for a little of cinnamon flavoring. This is my first time making jelly and I used liquid pectin and not the powder that the recipe called for. My batch tastes great and has a dark rich color that I LOVE but I do believe the choice in pectin caused it not to set right. Regardless I have some great tasting syrup to pour over my pancakes or waffles!
I am gonna try it again today and follow the recipe more closely and see how it turns out.