Thursday, February 16, 2012

Iron Dog Ice Holes


Drove out to Big Lake, the start of the Iron Dog Snowmachine Race, that starts this Sunday to see what all the fuss was about.


Apparently, after the volunteers cleared the snow off the lake for a parking lot & the spectators, an ice fisherman looked and saw a good place to dig not one, but three ice holes.  The holes released the water pressure and flooded the cleared area with a foot and a half of water.  No problem for the racers but no fun for the spectators or their vehicles.

The Iron Dog Race doesn't own Big Lake and can do nothing about the fisherman drilling the holes in their playground.  They do know that there are no fish on that side of the lake so all that work for no fish.

Looks like they plugged the holes and are working on clearing another area for Sunday's Big Lake start of the Iron Dog snowmachine race from Big Lake to Nome to Fairbanks.



1 comment:

payje said...

Hi! I love your blog, your heading is awesome and your pictures are great! Do you have a way to follow like twitter or facebook? I use wordpress so can't follow on blogger :( but I would love to keep up with your blog. My boyfriend and I are moving up to AK in about 2 months so I would love to read more about everything! If you want to check out my blog it's www.lifeallover.com, I am going to photo document our trip. Thanks for doing what you do, I would love to talk to you sometime!