Thursday, September 29, 2005

One Hellava Potential Pickle


My potato farmer husband harvested this bumper crop of "a" cucumber a few years back. Without a greenhouse I was surprised he managed to produce one cucumber. I pickled it with purchased carrots, onions & cauliflower .

He really is better at growing potatoes.

I try to make at least one meal a year consisting of food we either have grown, hunted, gathered or home made, like sourdough bread with blueberry jam. One meal is not much to brag about but it is an accomplishment for me with a feeling of pride.

No potential pickles near home plate this year.

When I was at the Palmer Friday Market in August, I almost bought a bunch of pickling dills, then changed my mind when I remembered all those Copper River reds in the freezer that I wanted to can. To quote myself "There is always next year."

No comments: