Wasilla is at Mile 42 of George Parks Highway (Alaska 3). George Alexander Parks was Alaska's territorial governor from 1925 til 1933. Originally known as the Anchorage/Fairbanks Hwy it received its current name in 1975. The highway was completed in 1971. The earthmovers must have ran into this rock and set it on the shores of Wasilla Lake for a monument to George back then.