Sunday, November 11, 2007

Proud to be among Veterans

Proud to be among veterans but more proud to be a daughter of a veteran. I joined the Air Force while my dad was still in the Army. He served 27 years and retired as a Sgt. Major Sir, highest rank for an enlisted man. We talked on the old watts line for free while we were at work serving our country. This was during the tail end of the VietNam conflict. When asked why I joined the Air Force my joke answer was "cos my dad's in the army." Dad died in 2003.


Raised as an army brat I knew what I was in for. I joined at 18 in 1973. When I should have come up to Alaska and made a $1000 a week working on the pipeline instead of making $344 a month indentured for Uncle Sam.


Me and the Air Force didn't get along very well. In fact we got in a war. I got an Article 15 which is not as bad as a court martial. The papers said "The USAF vrs. FishTaxi". I was scared and I knew I wasn't going to win. I called my dad on the watts line and asked him if he ever got an Article 15. My dad answered "Which one?"


Right before he died we both got on the internet and "talked" on MSN Messenger. He asked me to write "over" when I was done with my paragragh. Just like the old watts line.


Miss you dad. Now you are with all your buddies.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

This was fantastic.

Riverbrat said...

I agree with Shelby, that was a very moving remembrance. Thanks!