Thursday, July 12, 2007

the Nanuq





Yesterday, the Nanuq docked in Valdez. I could see the wheelhouse from across town and went down to the dock to check it out. I found out that the Nanuq is a Shell Oil spill response vessell making a publicity voyage around coastal Alaska. From Valdez, she's sailing to Kodiak, Dutch Harbor and all the way to Prudhoe Bay.

I was told by the videographer on board that today there was going to be an "open house" to the public. I had to come back for the tour today. Apparently, the flying bridge looks like the bridge of a space shuttle. When I arrived today the whole dock was blocked off to the public (minus the ferry dock) and the public was not allowed. The tour was by invitation only and the FishTaxi was not on the long list of panjandrums.

Good thing I got a lot of pictures yesterday because this was as close as I could get today (with telephoto).

No comments: