Sunday, October 23, 2005

Old Town Talking


In march 1964 a huge earthquake rocked the richter scale and wiped out Old Town Valdez. 33 residents died that Good Friday and most were on the dock and many were children. School was out and the steamship, the Chenega, was in port. The whole dock disappeared and 2 people died on the Chenega from the sudden drop of the contintnental shelf. What was left of the whole town was condemned and moved to a safer site where Valdez still stands to this day. Thats why it looks like a military base instead of old town America.

Now the sewer treatment plant is out there in OldTown along with the Public Radio KCHU towers. Other than that there isn't much else. Unless you think old broken dishes are something worth cleaning up and saving. Nice walk, beautiful sunset and loot to boot!

3 comments:

MrsM said...

So can you still see the old buildings in the old part? That sounds like a fun place to take the camera and explore.

Tabitha-n-AK said...

nice

FishTaxi said...

Not at all Bossco, all thats left of the old buildings in Old Town is the foundation of the old Post Office. There were a few buildings moved over to the new town site. But most were condemed and burned in Old Town.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the broken dishes. I bring them home and wash them outside in the sun. I enjoy doing those dishes more than my own! Then I store them in 5 gallon buckets outside. Its great that I don't have to worry about them freezing! I'm thinking mosaics.

Thanks for stopping by Tabitha-in-Ak!