Friday, September 14, 2007

From the Land of Peter Pan

This is the West High School volleyball team from Anchorage visiting the Valdez Buccaneers this morning. They stopped walking towards Valdez High School, for me to take a picture, in front of John Harris's house. He is our District Representative and Speaker of the House in the Alaska Legislature. Thats right folks, John has a little pink house. He's also a working Teamster when not in session.

Today was last day Peter Pan Seafoods in Valdez was open for business. I remembered about 4 o'clock and went to buy $50 worth of rockfish. A friend gave me $50 to pick up some for him, too. The vacuumed packed fillettes were $4.85 a pound. They didn't have a hundred dollars worth left in the freezers out front so the gal went to look for more. After 20 minutes of waiting I thought she forgot about me. She came back with the box of fish above saying I hope this is the right stuff. When we opened the box it was flash frozen fillettes like a restaurant gets and not individually packed. I asked how much a pound? $3 dollars she said. I said I'll take a hundred dollars worth. When weighed it was $120. She let me have the whole box for a hundred bucks which was $2.50 a pound! I came home and split it up and delivered my friend his $50 dollars worth of rockfish. He was so happy he gave me a big hug! I let a small fillette thaw out while I went swimming. Came back and fried it up. It tastes like chicken of the sea.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I never heard of rockfish. Is it a tuna? Is the fish house going out of business or just for the season?

FishTaxi said...

Mom, rockfish tastes like snapper. Very good. I should have wrote Peter Pan is closed for the season. They'll be back next year.