Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Dog Days of Winter

Rockett (RIP)
Tsaina (RIP)

The last day of Feb! woohoo! Seeds were out for sale on the rack today and I bought 3 packs of Livingstone Daisies. My favorite annual flower. In fact they were the first flower I ever grew. Wasn't into growing flowers. Grew vegetables instead. Can't eat flowers I said. Then low and behold I planted Livingstone Daisies. Livingstone Daisies are not instant gratification flowers. Sow the seed 8 weeks before last frost. Which here is Memorial Day Weekend. They only bloom on sunny days and not til around the 4th of July. Flourescent colors! On every sunny day til the snow falls. Been hooked ever since.

I don't keep them all. I start the flats then share when the time is right. They can grow in rock gardens to old logs. Livingstone Daisies are that hardy. ANd well worth the wait.

Come on SPRING!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love Livingston Daisies, one of my dad favorites….I have planted HUNDREDS of these things, they love the chilly Anchor Point valley. Most years they re-seed themselves, so he just has to fill in the bald spots, come defrost time.