Sunday, May 07, 2006

Copper Kiss

ADN Stock Photo~

Its traditional for the gillnetters to kiss the first red king caught on the Copper River Flats (where the Copper River meets the Gulf of Alaska.)

May 15th is the commercial opener of the first, fresh and wild Copper River Reds & Kings. It will be a little while before the salmon make it upriver to the dipnetters & subsistance fish wheels.

Time to sharpen the knives and look for deals on cases of salmon cans (1/2 pound flats.) The price here at Eagle (non-union Safeway) is $34.99!!! I hope I can beat that gouging in Anchorage or the valley. Paying $35 for a case of empty cans hurts. I try and can 10-12 cases of reds every summer.

1 comment:

Stan Harrington said...

Nice fish, I love them all but will draw the line when it comes to kissing them! You can a lot of salmon! I have to get back intothat, I am not much of a stright salmon earter, but I can live on smoked salmon and there is nothing better than popping open a can a smoked salmon inthe middle of winter. Happy jiysh to you.