Saturday, January 28, 2006

Picture of P.S. Hunt Photos


The walls of the hallways, classrooms and offices at PWSCC are adorned with late 1800 - early 1900 photos of the Valdez area by P.S. Hunt. This group is a favorite of mine. Especially the upper left corner snapshot of a couple standing in front of their shack. Staunch & proud, I can't help but think that woman could have been me, had I lived in Valdez at the turn of the 20th century. The lower left picture of the women with the dog shows the importance of dog ownership back then. The dog team on the lower right could have been photographer P.S. Hunts as he traveled by dog team with his equipment.

One comment I heard in the hallway was "How did they keep so clean back then? I'm having a hard time today!" The most often heard comment is "Wouldn't P.S. Hunt be amazed with todays digital photography."

More P.S. Hunt photo's here http://vilda.alaska.edu/index.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am fascinated by the upper left corner snapshot that you also list as your favorite. I saw a copy of it as a silent auction today but was outbid over and over again. Any idea where I can find a copy?
Jenn
icemanje@earthlink.net